Digital Arts Major
The Digital Arts Program at the University of Oregon encourages students to combine new media and visual art theory with strong technical sophistication, a rich sense of visual design, and an ability to articulate artistic research. The UO program in digital arts emphasizes creative thinking, experimentation, visual communication delivery systems and intense research.
Led by internationally known Department of Art faculty members, the Digital Arts Program offers classes in interactivity, video art, animation, installation, imaging, programming, design, and art and design history. Undergraduate B.A. and B.S. degrees and a graduate M.F.A. degree in digital arts are offered on the Eugene campus. The Digital Arts program focuses on research, production, and installation, in the context of a technologically sophisticated studio environment. The Digital Arts program seeks students who are willing to experiment and are capable of an intense standard of creativity. We emphasize insight, criticality and the ability to articulate complex visual and experiential ideas.
All majors are required to complete the University of Oregon general degree requirements for either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in addition to the departmental major requirements listed below.
BA / BS in Digital Arts
- 4 credits Basic Design - ART 115
- 4 credits Basic Design - ART 116
- 4 credits Digital Arts I - ARTD 250
- 4 credits Digital Arts II - ARTD 251
- 4 credits Digital Arts III - ARTD 252
- 4 credits Drawing - ART 233
- 3 courses History of Art and Architecture - ARH 200+
- 36 credits upper division studio - ARTD 300+ (24 credits must be ARTD)
BFA in Digital Arts
- Satisfaction of BA / BS in Digital Arts
- 9 credits BFA Issues & Practices - ARTD 490
- 12 additional credits History of Art and Architecture - ARH 200+
- 21 additional credtis Digital Arts Studio - ARTD 300+
4 credits ARTD 409 Terminal Creative Project